1) This does NOT light your fire. You still need to light your wood or charcoal through your normal means. This just helps it to get it to its “ready state” a lot faster.
2) This does NOT blow hot air at all. In fact it was a hot day today and I even caught myself using it as a little portable fan twice.
3) This DOES blow a focused stream of air that can be felt by the hand around 2 feet or so away from it. It focuses air blowing on the coals so that they get hotter faster and in turn light up the other coals around them faster.
4) EDITED (based on product videos and manufacturer comments on this review): You can put the tip pretty close to the coals as they first heat up, but you should pull back of course as the heat increases and spreads.
5) You need to supply the 3 AAA batteries for this unit.